Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SENIOR 'HOLIC
    Thanks

60's Slingerland Bop kit with snare - limited time offer

Here's what I know about these drums: I bought them from an older cat in town who's retired from playing, Dick Bortolusi. The drums have 60's stamps inside (65 or 68 - I can't remember and the drums aren't at home). The badges are black and silver, which I believe are 70s badges. Dick told me the drums were re-wrapped with Slingerland WMP at Marv Dahlgren's shop. Marv is the main author of 4-way Coordination, and had a drum shop in Minneapolis back in the day. So my guess is that they were re-wrapped in the 70s, and had the black/silver badges put on then.

The drums came with Naugahyde bags for the 12/14/18. Inside the 18 bag is Elliot Fine's name and phone number. Elliot was the co-author of 4-way Coordination, and like Marv, a percussionist with the Minneapolis Symphony. I didn't ask Dick, but I surmise that he bought the drums from Elliot. The bags will go with the kit.

The wrap and chrome are in very good shape. No lifting, and the chrome shines. There is one rust spot on the small tom rim.

Everything seems original (as far as I can tell - I'm not a collector), except an after-market cymbal holder (Ludwig, I think) on the bd. I have the cymbal arm for it.

The bass drum has 4 extra holes under the wrap. I think this kit originally came with a 10" tom in addition to the 12. My guess is that the extra holes are from an older Slingerland double tom mount, which was replaced with the Swivomatic. One of the hoops is also a bit out of round, but it still works fine. I don't know if there's anything going on under the wrap on the toms - they came to me with coated heads on both sides, and I never looked.

I think Dick still has the 10" tom from the kit, and the Swivomatic double holder. If you want both toms, I'll check with Dick and you'll pay whatever he wants for it (it would have been $100 when I bought the kit).

The drums sound great - nothing more to say about them. Very warm. I like the snare as much as the George Way I've been playing for 10 years. Warm and articulate. The drums are currently at my out of town practice spot. I'll bring them home this weekend or next. I can take more pictures then - for now, I just have one.

I'm listing the drums here for $1,000 + shipping. And here's the thing:I'll leave the listing up, and not post them anywhere else, for about a week. If they don't sell by then, I'll list them elsewhere at a higher price. If you're seriously interested, but need more pics, pm me and we'll work something out. But I'm selling these because I need the $ for other things, so it's first come, first served.

That's the deal. Happy to answer questions.

slingerland.jpg

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to steveh For This Useful Post:

Benja (05-15-2018),Blueprint (05-16-2018),carnivorious-sheep (05-15-2018),donbseattle (05-18-2018),egw (05-15-2018),EricBailey (05-16-2018),kevin klever (05-15-2018),Poetman (05-18-2018),zenstat (05-15-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,495 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Standard depths?

SENIOR 'HOLIC
    Thanks
    yup
    8x12, 14x14, 14x18, 5.5x14

5. The Following User Says Thank You to steveh For This Useful Post:

Sinclair (05-16-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,141 Times in 1,894 Posts
    Blog Entries
    ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

why you doin this to me dude?

how LIMITED TIME is this offer?
    "You've been making the wrong mistakes" Thelonius Monk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Killian For This Useful Post:

Poetman (05-18-2018)

SENIOR 'HOLIC
    Thanks
    That didn't take long.
    PM me to discuss details.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,472 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveh View Post
    That didn't take long.
    "For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert, but for every fact there is not necessarily an equal and opposite fact" (Thomas Sowell, 1995 in The Vision of the Anointed)

Which K Stamp is this? A DIY tool click here
    Old K prices and weights click here
    Avedis Zildjian Gallery and Timeline click here
    Old A prices and weights click here
    Paiste 602/Sound Creation prices click here

Thanks
    Thanked 4,141 Times in 1,894 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steveh View Post
    That didn't take long.
    Wife said NO!
    "You've been making the wrong mistakes" Thelonius Monk

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tom Killian For This Useful Post:

donbseattle (05-18-2018),jda (05-17-2018),Poetman (05-18-2018)

Thanks
    I don't know a ton about drums. If you were to quickly compare/contrast these with Gretsch, Ludwig, and Yamaha in similar sizes, what would you say?

They look beautiful, and I know Tom loves his Slingerlands. All I've owned is a Yamaha MCA, so I feel I need to venture out at some point in time

Thanks
    Jazz Drummer, YOU WANT THESE! I--very regrettably--sold a 12/14/20 Slingerland (to get an engagement ring), and they were some of the best drums. While I prefer my Gretsch, I could not imagine having a Slingerland and being even remotely unhappy. Here's a great rundown of vintage drums and their corresponding sounds:
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...agazine+drums+

Generally, Ludwig will give a deeper, thuddier sound--not as clear tuned up for bop--nice but not nice enough. Slingerland is SUPER warm, and to my ear, is neck-to-neck with Gretsch (listen to Tom's clips of his pink sparkle or Ben Riley's stuff--plenty of YouTube videos--to hear that sound). They are a bit deeper with a more pronounced low end. Gretsch are throaty with more bark, more highs, shorter sustain, but very full. Others could add more eloquence to this, but this gives you a general sense.

I've always wanted a 12/14/18 WMP Slingerland, but am not in the position to buy. What a sad day. Why are you selling, Steve?

SENIOR 'HOLIC
    Thanks
    I just use them for a practice kit, which is kind of a waste. I have a cheap Tama kit to use for that, so I don't really have a need for these. They are sweet drums and I will surely have regrets about selling them. But I've got the Tama's for sale too, and if they sell first, I could keep these. Or I could change my mind after someone says they want them. I can be pretty flakey.