Thread: 14" EAK hi-hats

Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 939 Posts

14" EAK hi-hats

Hey all--

So I've come to regret selling the early EAK hats featured in this video:

I'd like another set just as musical, especially now that I've come into possession of a sweet 20" EAK Ride. Anybody got a nice pair in excellent condition?

For the right pair, I could be persuaded to trade my set of 14" Blue Label FO602 Heavy Hi-Hats...

Please PM me!

SENIOR "HOLIC
    Thanks
    So I take it you're not ready to sell me your 18" dark crash? I had a lot of fun the other day with some of my "small" ones, 15/17 crash, 20 light ride. I play big cymbals so often forgot how much fun a small fast speaking set could be. Good luck on the hunt!

NEW 'HOLIC
    Thanks
    I don't know if that can help but i saw this on ebay: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F253488933182

Seems like a nice pair, but might be a bit pricey.

SENIOR "HOLIC
    Thanks
    That seller also has them up on one of the Facebook groups for $400, might be negotiable.

Jbmartel, I grew up in Nashua! (NH I'm assuming)

Quote Originally Posted by Jbmartel View Post
    I don't know if that can help but i saw this on ebay: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F253488933182

Seems like a nice pair, but might be a bit pricey.

Thanks
    https://www.maxwelldrums.com/zildjia...g-p-17656.html

$375 but they look beautiful! I have no need for them but I really want them myself.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to uncoherent For This Useful Post:

Midas (03-16-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by uncoherent View Post
    https://www.maxwelldrums.com/zildjia...g-p-17656.html

$375 but they look beautiful! I have no need for them but I really want them myself.
    I wound up buying this pair from Maxwell’s, so I’m done seeking for now.

If they don’t work out, I’ll be in touch, uncoherent.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Midas For This Useful Post:

uncoherent (04-12-2018),zenstat (04-08-2018)

SENIOR "HOLIC
    Thanks
    Nicely done, I just grabbed an 18 as well. Long live the addicts.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 2,746 Posts
    And lo, another pair just appeared over on DFO.

14” EAKs. No key holes, no cracks. One or two tiny flea bites, nothing serious just full disclosure. 300 plus shipping to lower 48. Not interested in trades at this time. 1085 / 1318.
    text quoted above in case you can't see it (you have to be logged in): http://www.drumforum.org/index.php?/...jian-eak-hats/

The ones on DFO have the upside down model ink (relative the the K). The ones in the initial video were right way up. Which way around were the Maxwell ones I wonder? I haven't really been recording which way around the ink is on all the EAKs I'm documenting, just enough to show that most models come both ways. I may kick myself later, but it seemed a lot of extra work which probably wouldn't pay off because unless we have purchase receipts for them all we don't know year of purchase and thus are unlikely to be able to say much about a particular year when the ink changed orientation.

Or should I say, which years uʍop ǝpᴉsdn was the more common.
    Last edited by zenstat; 04-08-2018 at 10:16 PM.
    "For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert, but for every fact there is not necessarily an equal and opposite fact" (Thomas Sowell, 1995 in The Vision of the Anointed)

Which K Stamp is this? A DIY tool click here
    Old K prices and weights click here
    Avedis Zildjian Gallery and Timeline click here
    Old A prices and weights click here
    Paiste 602/Sound Creation prices click here

Thanks
    Those hats also appeared on eBay--literally ten minutes after I bought the ones for sale at Maxwell's.

With regard to model ink orientation, the earlier models had the right side up ink and tended, at least at first, to have model names break across two lines (e.g., "Dark" would appear above "Crash" rather than adjacent to it). Early EAK hats have this ink as well as the big Ks on the undersides. Later models have the single line model designations, upside down orientation, and, in the case of hi-hats, no logos underneath. I can't pinpoint when this transition occurred. But I do know this: all the Brilliant finish EAKs I've encountered have the upside down, single-line model designations. The EAK hats I just bought from Maxwell's are Brilliant finished, and they, too, have the upside down, single-line model ink. Dunno if this helps, but...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 2,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Midas View Post
    Those hats also appeared on eBay--literally ten minutes after I bought the ones for sale at Maxwell's.

With regard to model ink orientation, the earlier models had the right side up ink and tended, at least at first, to have model names break across two lines (e.g., "Dark" would appear above "Crash" rather than adjacent to it). Early EAK hats have this ink as well as the big Ks on the undersides. Later models have the single line model designations, upside down orientation, and, in the case of hi-hats, no logos underneath. I can't pinpoint when this transition occurred. But I do know this: all the Brilliant finish EAKs I've encountered have the upside down, single-line model designations. The EAK hats I just bought from Maxwell's are Brilliant finished, and they, too, have the upside down, single-line model ink. Dunno if this helps, but...
    It does thank you. The other early/late production clue I'm still following up is whether below the model ink there is the diameter ink. Based on what data there is from A Zildjian cymbals around this time (1982) it looks like there are some EAKs which predate the addition of diameter info. I've recorded a few examples where we can be confident that it isn't just a case of the diameter ink having been worn away.
    "For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert, but for every fact there is not necessarily an equal and opposite fact" (Thomas Sowell, 1995 in The Vision of the Anointed)

Which K Stamp is this? A DIY tool click here
    Old K prices and weights click here
    Avedis Zildjian Gallery and Timeline click here
    Old A prices and weights click here
    Paiste 602/Sound Creation prices click here