Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

wanted - 20" K. Zildjian EAK flat ride.

Looking for a 20" K. Zildjian EAK flat ride. Brilliant finish would be the full monty.
    I think these were late 1980's and early 1990's production.

Thanks for any replys!

Thanks
    I got one in pretty good shape, but not a brilliant but beautifully handhammerd and a noble Patina.
    Didn´t know them in brilliant until now.

I am first owner, very slight wear on the bottom K ink on a small area (guess from bagging) , very very small spot on the ingraved logo ( i just saw that on my ariched and zoomed photo, might wash of with just a Kleenex or so, havent noticed it last time it had standtime ,also some light very moderate stick marks on top, looks practically new otherwise.
    Perfect round hole, no dents, no nicks or such.

320 Euro or 370 Schweizer Franken on Swiss or German Bankaccount (plus shipping from Basel or Germany), (i think it is around 10 Franken inside Switzerland)
    I got some pics already in my archive, if you pm your E-Mail i can send them to you quickly

Thanks
    since i didnt get any reply on my offer from mr. d. energy (albeit loggin in a bunch a times), i changed my mind and this cymbal will stay with me

just thought i´d help a Zürich Holic errr

Thanks
    Thanks for the offer. No slight intended. Sorry you took it as one.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dark energy For This Useful Post:

three dots (10-10-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 842 Posts
    Were there any EAK brilliants? Late 80s/early 90s, you might be looking for an IAK ('Zildjian' on the bottom)?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,746 Times in 2,453 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seb View Post
    Were there any EAK brilliants? Late 80s/early 90s, you might be looking for an IAK ('Zildjian' on the bottom)?
    There are EAK brilliants but I haven't spotted a Flat Brilliant EAK since I've been paying attention. EAK Flats came in at 1984, so there might well be some.

And yes, late 80s/early 90s is IAK territory based on what I've pieced together so far: A Brief History of North American Ks
    "For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert, but for every fact there is not necessarily an equal and opposite fact" (Thomas Sowell, 1995 in The Vision of the Anointed)

Which K Stamp is this? A DIY tool click here
    Old K prices and weights click here
    Avedis Zildjian Gallery and Timeline click here
    Old A prices and weights click here
    Paiste 602/Sound Creation prices click here

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zenstat For This Useful Post:

Dancam (10-12-2017),three dots (10-10-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zenstat View Post
    There are EAK brilliants but I haven't spotted a Flat Brilliant EAK since I've been paying attention. EAK Flats came in at 1984, so there might well be some.

And yes, late 80s/early 90s is IAK territory based on what I've pieced together so far: A Brief History of North American Ks
    Thanks Zen for this informative post - I have a 20" K Heavy Ride with heavy patina which I've just traced to 1996 with the laser IF on the stamp. Whatever the age this cymbal sings with sticking similar to a flat ride and also has an amazing complexity to edge notes and a great bell. Maybe I'm lucky with the sound of the one I have or maybe you just have to play them yourself to hear them - other recorded ones of the same type bear little resemblance. I love flat rides which can be very different but distinct sticking - my Heavy ride builds more in complexity and volume but retains great sticking.

Thanks
    20" Zildjian EAK flat ride in Brilliant finish???

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dark energy View Post
    20" Zildjian EAK flat ride in Brilliant finish???
    The Flat Ride in the Video looks to me not as an EAK, wich means Early Amercian K, but it looks as it has a "brilliant" finish.

This is because of the ink "Zildjian" lettering on the Bottom.

This is at least according to the commenly accepted , required details for cymbals wich can be called EAK.

And one those Details are , that an EAK has also a K in capitals on the bottom (reverses side of the cymbal)

But in my book it could very well be, that cymbals with the ink Zildjian script underneath apear wich share the some production qualities of the homemade style handhammering.
    But i never met that and never heard of that.

I also yet have to see ( and hear of of) an Brilliant EAK Flat, like i said the vid Shows a latter made model.
    Is there any other source or reason you might have to ask for a EAK Flat in brilliant ?

I think those cymbals with the Zildjian ink Sript underneath are called IAK ( and without a lazer engraving on top) = Intermidiate American K, the date 1990 for that Video does not interfer with an IAK, since EAK´s are spoken of to be made inbetween 1981 up to 1984 and IAK´s from later on.

The one i have a true EAK with all ist Qualities, (also the upside down modesl Designation)
    has also clearly handhammerd Patterns ) not just the irregular style of the hammer pattersn, but also the irregular depth of the single hammermarks prove an Hand Held hammer ( as to just an Hand guided automated anvil hammer)

On one part of the cymbal there is even a small circle of hammerings with further hammerings in it.
    I bought this cymbal new back in the day from a back then famous shop, and know therefore that this is from the factory.

It is quite impressing that way, otherwise one could think somebody reworked it.
    But obviously they finetuned it- and it truely is a very Special cymbal with different Sound Areas.

It is a flat, but the area around the mounting whole still is way thicker than the rest and sounds just like a bell in some ways, strange sound- it Sound somewhat like a church bell when sturck with a buttend.

And the cymbal is very complex and also chimey with loads of different playing areas, very unlikly other Flats it sits well with my Sound creations, Istanbul k´s and Istanbul pre splits.

They all (EAK, K, Soundcreation Dark Rides.and Istanbul presplit) share the same strange qualitie you cant find in other cymbals. (well in my book at least)

EAK and IAK are quite something different wich also shows in the prices called for them.
    hope this helps

Thanks
    Thanked 4,746 Times in 2,453 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dancam View Post
    Thanks Zen for this informative post - I have a 20" K Heavy Ride with heavy patina which I've just traced to 1996 with the laser IF on the stamp. Whatever the age this cymbal sings with sticking similar to a flat ride and also has an amazing complexity to edge notes and a great bell. Maybe I'm lucky with the sound of the one I have or maybe you just have to play them yourself to hear them - other recorded ones of the same type bear little resemblance. I love flat rides which can be very different but distinct sticking - my Heavy ride builds more in complexity and volume but retains great sticking.
    Thanks for the info. Any change of a weight for yours? I'm always on the scrounge for weights so I can add those to my model descriptions.
    "For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert, but for every fact there is not necessarily an equal and opposite fact" (Thomas Sowell, 1995 in The Vision of the Anointed)

Which K Stamp is this? A DIY tool click here
    Old K prices and weights click here
    Avedis Zildjian Gallery and Timeline click here
    Old A prices and weights click here
    Paiste 602/Sound Creation prices click here